Thursday, September 24, 2026

Shao Kang: The Returning King (Part 3)

Here's the next part of the story of Shao Kang. 

“Do you need anything else?” the Queen’s servant asked.

“No, I’m ok. Is there any news of when the King’s coming back?” she asked.

“No, not that I know of. Are you sure you don’t need anything?” the servant asked. This servant had been working for the Queen for several years now. Although the Queen had many servants helping take care of her, this was her favorite servant. 

“Maybe a cup of tea,” the queen said.

“Of course, your Majesty,” the servant smiled.

It was already a few weeks after the king left and there was talk in the palace of the coming army. It was getting closer and closer. The Queen was trying to find out what she should do. If she stayed in the palace, she could get captured or killed by the incoming army.

Three days later news came: the King had died. He went out to meet one of the armies and died in the fight. Now the Queen had to decide what to do. 

“What will you do?” the servant asked.

“I have to leave, but I don’t know how. How close do you think the armies are?” the queen asked.

“They are close. Someone told me that they are almost at the city walls,” the servant answered.

“If they are at the city walls, then I’ve gotta leave. It’s not just my life I have to think of but my little one as well,” the Queen said.

“I might have a way. There are some dogs that keep digging holes under the walls. There might be a way through those holes,” the servant said.

“How do you know all of this?” the Queen asked.

“Last week I picked flowers in the garden for your room and that’s when I noticed the holes close to the walls. One in particular looked really deep, like it might go all the way under the wall,” the servant said.

“Well, do you think that hole is big enough for someone like me to go through?” the Queen asked.

“I don’t know but we can try,” the servant suggested.

“We have to. I don’t think we can get out any other way. By tonight or tomorrow they’ll be watching the city walls. We can’t chance it. We need to get packing; we’ll leave tomorrow morning after breakfast. Don’t tell anyone of this,” the queen said.

“Of course, your Majesty,” the servant said.

“We can start packing a few things now. Take my jewels and put them in a small bag. We can’t take much with us,” the Queen said.

“Where will you go?” the servant asked.

“To my parent’s house. I think it’ll take us three days to walk there. I’ve never walked there before because we’ve always had horses and horse carts take us. We’ll need to take food and water,” the Queen said.

“I’ll get started it on it right away,” the servant said.

“Remember, don’t tell anyone about it. When you get the food, just say it’s for the Queen and they shouldn’t ask any questions. We’ll need to eat breakfast a little earlier than normal. Actually, we should leave before it gets light in the morning. We’ll have to take food with us for breakfast,” the Queen said.

“Of course, your Majesty. I’ll go and tell the kitchen and then come back to help you pack,” the servant said.

“Don’t forget you need to pack a few things for yourself too,” the Queen said.

“Me? You want me to go with you, your Majesty?” the servant asked.

“Of course, that is if you are willing to go with me,” the Queen answered.

“Yes, I would love to,” the servant said. “I would rather serve you than be stuck here when that army comes in.”

The following morning the servant snuck in the kitchen and got some food for the Queen. She said the Queen had woken up a bit earlier than normal and wanted something small to eat before breakfast. No one asked any questions. They snuck out through the palace and to the garden, the wall where the dogs had dug the big hole. 

“Are you sure it’s big enough?” the Queen whispered.

“If it’s not, I can go get something to help dig and make it bigger,” the servant suggested.

Thankfully, they didn’t need to. The servant went first to make sure it was big enough. Once she went through, the Queen passed the bags through and then the Queen went through. They were well out of the city before most people woke up and before the incoming army got to the palace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shao Kang: The Returning King (Part 3)

Here's the next part of the story of Shao Kang.  “Do you need anything else?” the Queen’s servant asked. “No, I’m ok. Is there any new...